Kali Yunus Oriental Bath is one of the main architectural attractions of Taraz. The architectural monument of the late XIX century is located in the central part of the city, not far from the Karakhan mausoleum. The Eastern bathhouse of Kali Yunus was built by the residents of Aulie-Ata. A small stack of coins found near one of the baths allowed archaeologists to establish the exact time of the bath’s existence. The 50-ies of the XXth century bath was in effect. A little later it was restored. In 1982, the Kali Yunus bathhouse was included in the list of historical and cultural monuments of the Republic of Kazakhstan.
The mausoleums of Aisha-bibi and Babaji-Khatun were built around the XI-XII centuries. There are many tragic legends about their origin, but there is still no specific information about the history of the construction, the time of construction or the identity of the builders. Both buildings have a cubic shape and are distinguished by an elaborate architectural decoration of terracotta tiles with ancient carved ornaments. A special feature of the Babaji-Khatun mausoleum is the unique shape of the dome in the form of an umbrella with 16 faces, the analogues of which have not yet been found in Central Asian religious architecture.
The mausoleum of Karakhan (Aulie-ata) was erected over the grave of Karakhan Muhammad — one of the khans of the Karakhanid dynasty and the ruler of Taraz. Many legends about Karakhan connect the batyr with the young beauty Aisha-Bibi. According to legend, after the tragic death of his beloved, he ordered the construction of the mausoleum of Aisha-Bibi. When dying, Karakhan bequeathed to bury himself in a place where the mausoleum of Aisha-Bibi would be visible. For thousands of years, the mausoleums of Karakhan and Aisha-Bibi were the tallest buildings in Taraz. Since 1982, the Karakhan mausoleum has been a monument of history and culture of national significance.
“Tekturmas” in Kazakh means “a mountain that stands for a reason”. The mausoleum is considered the burial place of Sultan Mahmud Khan. According to one legend, he was a local saint, according to another – the commander-in-chief of the Karakhanid troops. He made a great contribution to the development of Islam. Another reason for the name Tekturmas is due to the fact that the area is not simple, but sacred. As studies have shown – the meridian passes over this hill.
The building of the main mosque of Taraz was built in 2008, although the foundation stone was laid in 2003 by the First President of the Republic of Kazakhstan during another working trip to Taraz. The total area of the mosque is 2324.2 m2. The capacity of the mosque is over 1000 people. On the territory of the mosque there is a two-story building, which houses the rooms of the imam and the naib Imam, a conference room, a room for reading the Koran, a wedding hall and a dining room.
Zhambyl Regional Museum of Local History was opened in 1931, as evidenced by archival documents. The widest circles of the city public took an active part in the creation and replenishment of the museum’s funds: intellectuals, workers of enterprises, schoolchildren. As a result of archaeological and scientific collecting expeditions, the museum’s fund has increased. Currently, the regional museum has about 35,000 items on its state register.