The North Kazakhstan Regional Museum of Local History was established in 1924. The exhibition is located in 13 halls and is built on the principles of general historical periodization, from ancient times to the present. The museum has 350 thousand exhibits in its collections. The museum replenished its collections thanks to expeditions, exchanges with other museums, and the help of citizens.
The biography of Abylai Khan is a source of a huge amount of important historical data about Kazakhstan of the XVIII century. The main idea of the museum is to present the life and work of Abylai Khan. The museum consists of four halls, where the materials of the past years related to the name of the great ruler are presented.
The garden was founded in 1912 and is one of the oldest in Kazakhstan. The uniqueness of the complex lies in the fact that initially the prerequisites for its creation were industrial purposes, to meet the needs of the meat-canning plant in ingredients – onions and bay leaves. Over time, the complex has received its further development and currently serves as a scientific and educational, exposition, scientific, conservation and public base.
The Astrophysical Observatory was established in 1989. In 2006-2013, the University conducted theoretical and experimental studies of mesospheric silvery clouds. Scientists have put forward and confirmed the hypothesis about the connection of their appearance with weather and climate changes on Earth. The main attraction is the Ritchie-Chretien telescope system. In the Republic of Kazakhstan, it is the second largest telescope that allows solving educational, research and experimental tasks. The observatory also houses a digital planetarium, which has a projector that allows you to get a color quality image of more than 3,000 stars in each hemisphere of the celestial sphere in real time with a demonstration of the starry sky anywhere on Earth..
The Cathedral of the Holy Apostles Peter and Paul is one of the oldest surviving buildings in the city and is an architectural monument. The original church was laid in 1803, in 1812 it was dismantled, and on October 22, 1813, a new stone three-altar church was laid on the same site. After the October Revolution, the church was closed. Since 1947, church services have been held in the church, which continue to this day.
The Kyzyl Zhar Mosque is the central mosque of the city of Petropavlovsk. From the Kazakh language, the name of the mosque is translated as “Red Yar”. The three-storey building of the mosque at the base resembles an eight-pointed star. The main volume of the building is crowned by one large and four small hemispherical domes of bright blue color. The main dome is 28 m high, and the two minarets that adorn the mosque are 42 m each. The mosque can accommodate up to 1 thousand parishioners.