The Cathedral of the Resurrection of Christ is a monument of architecture and history of the mid-XIX century. The Resurrection Cathedral became the second church in the city of Semipalatinsk after Znamensky.
The Resurrection Church was built in 1857-60 on the initiative of a retired Cossack sergeant Mitrofanov-Kazakov, mainly at the expense of the people. The Cathedral of the Resurrection of Christ is popularly called the Cossack Church.
After the Znamensky Cathedral was destroyed in the early 1930s, its icons were transferred to the Resurrection Church. In 2020, the Resurrection Cathedral celebrated its 160th anniversary.